All About Ideal Cut Diamonds
An ideal cut or excellent diamond or perfect diamond proportions is around, brilliant cut diamond efficiently cut in ideal proportions and angles to reflect 100% of the light which falls upon its surface, having in total 58 facets and is considered as the top cut amongst all different Types of Diamond Cuts like marquise cut, Asscher cut, princess cut, cushion cut, etc.
The nodal authority to determine the rate of the proportion of ideal cuts is in the United States of America and is named as American Gems Society Laboratory (AGSL)
Considering the aspects of the quantum of light reflection and its dispersion in the form of fire, to mean the way this light gets dispersed into various spectral colors, a Belgian Diamond cutter named Marcel Tolkowsky coined this term for diamonds as Ideal Cut, which later becomes a Standard Diamond Comparison Metric.
The cardinal essence of ideal cut diamonds is that the way the rough stone is cut to give perfect proportions of all the facets of the diamond stone to emit the highest volume of light return and dispersion and top diamond light performance.
Generally the quality of a diamond is measured in terms of the percentage of diamonds diameter in depth, angles of light reflection, sparkle, aesthetic appeal, proportions in terms of table, width and depth, symmetrical facets in terms of mirrors windows and steps, brilliance in terms of brightness of white light, fire in terms of dispersion of colored light, scintillation, and finishing details in terms of permanent treatment and polishing, all to culminate into an ideal cut diamond.
Globally, there are in total six ideal cuts out of which only three are the most common. and hereinbelow they are listed:
- The Tolkowsky Ideal Cut: Created in 1919, this type of Tolkowsky Ideal Cut runs down deep to the center of the sweet spot, now, after about 20 years is known as the basis of the zero ideal cut proportions range designated by the American Gem Society Laboratory (AGSL).
- Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Cut Diamonds: Also called as Brian Gavin Signature Round Diamonds are cut right into the center of the diamond to emit a whole set of pattern of hearts and arrows. This type of diamond has a very high degree of optical precision over the top as slated by GIA as excellent or AGS Ideal Polish and symmetry.
- GIA Excellent Cut and AGS Ideal 0 Cut Diamonds: These are really not ideal cut diamonds but are just those standard diamonds having received the highest grade of GIA Excellent from the GIA Gem Trade Laboratory or AGS Ideal 0 from the American Gems Society Laboratory.
- 60/60 Ideal Cut Diamonds: This is a diamond named to have the total depth and table diameter of 60% as an Ideal Cut Diamond. This is a type of out of realistic expectations form of diamond cut because such ideal cut it is not possible as pavilion angle, pavilion depth, crown height, and crown angle will be different from stone to stone, highly improbable to designed and cut.
- Brian Gavin Signature Hearts and Arrows Diamonds: Brain Gain is a very famous and highly recognized diamond designer, highly renowned to set a diamond standard under this name of Ideal Cut Diamonds. Each of this diamond is cut to proportions representing the center or sweet spot to define the zero ideal cut proportions rating established by the AGS Laboratory and every diamond is graded on the light performance grading platform which relies on ASET to determine that the diamond is delivering the highest volume of light return.